Don't Play DFS...at least not with more than a couple of bucks. I've continued to play and I've discovered two reasons why I should stop (I've taken all my money out but $20).

1. The amount payed to the house is way to high at 20%
and new for 2016
2. It is nearly impossible to find actual players on the sites anymore. You are nearly always facing a computer.

Between the Legal Issue and the Playability issue, there is no room for the casual player. It's no longer a sucker bet, it's simply throwing your money away.

7.23.2015

The Clayton Kershaw Effect....

Noticed something going into today's games.   I wasn't looking forward to playing DFS baseball today and I isolated the cause.

Clayton Kershaw

I love the guy.  One helluva a hurler.  But you face the dilemma of paying a boatload of money for him and fielding a mediocre batting roster; or not fielding him, having a decent lineup otherwise, and facing the guy in way to many games.  He was $13,000 on Fan Duel!!! Out of $35,000.  You get on $22,000 to field 8 batters.  You are not getting any good hitters with him on your roster.  Even his $12,400 on Draft Kings isn't easy to swallow and field a roster you can go into the day's games confident in.

And then as I listened to the CBS fantasy baseball podcast in my car, they basically said you have to field Clayton Kershaw today.  And they only play FanDuel.  They tagged him a "slam dunk."  How could a Fan Duel player love expensive Kershaw days?

Then it hit me, it's the big problem with Fan Duel.  With it's one pitcher format and scoring system that gives average pitchers as many points as a hitter who goes 2-5 with a Home Run and 3 RBI (8.25 pts), the advantage of Kershaw is that everybody takes him.  So that Pitcher is taken out of the pitcher making the game, not single position dependent for a change. You can actually look forward to a game where a single less than stellar pick doesn't sink your whole fleet.

It makes the game a fair fight.  A situation where you might have an interesting matchup for the night. Your scrub hitters versus my scrub hitters.  Not something I really want to put money on, but more interesting than normal.  Which kind of explains why I haven't got too excited about my time on Fan Duel.  It's setup leads to far too many uninteresting nights (as dull when I lose or win because of the Pitcher score spacing). How do they lead the marketplace? How do they win awards from the Fantasy Sports Trade Association for best product?  Such is the mysteries of our faith.  Their DFS Football must be awesome, I guess.

Clayton Kershaw did not disappoint versus the hapless NY Mets.  He went 9 inning for the win, with 3 hits allowed, no walks, and 11 strikeouts.  He scored 24 points on Fan Duel, 4 points more than the next best guy there (Franscisco Liriano's 20).  Kershaw racked up 49.45 on Draft Kings 14.05 ahead of the #2 guy (again Liriano).

I didn't really play today.  I did toss out $7 on the late slate, but my heart wasn't in it.  It looks like I'll get $3.60 back, but I probably should have sat the day out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...